Sunday, December 23, 2007

Diminishing Returns?

Well since we're still on vacation, I decided to write about diminishing returns, as it pertains to our vacation. We snowboarded for 3 days in Whistler. Each day cost $77/day/per person. Unfortunately the greatest value gained was on the first day when we were excited and energized. Unfortunately by the second and third days there was diminishing value from being able to go boarding. Our bodies were fatigued, bruised, and hurt. We weren't as excited or energized. But was it still worth it?

Like any vacation, the best days are the first few. After that, many times you desire to be back at home, just relaxing. But you paid to "enjoy" life outside the norm. So how do you deal with the diminishing returns?

Like any good you purchase the enjoyment diminishes overtime. The only thing you can do is enjoy it to the maximum and before you purchase your vacation, tv, car, consider if it is really worth the expense. Is will you regret the purchase or truly appreciate the value gained?

Personally I might not have snowboarded for 3 days. However the diminishing returns is tilted to enjoyment because my DH loves, loves, loves it. He totally enjoyed it to the fullests and went to the maximum all three days. And because he has so few pleasures in life, this was a great success. He doesn't have many hobbies or spare time. And his time is valuable because of his income. So while I felt it was diminishing returns solely based the hurt of my body, I know my DH loved the experience. And that in turn increased my enjoyment of snowboarding experience.

Also a consideration we could never have this experience in the East Coast. They have no powder or mountains like this. So we probably will not have the opportunity to do this again for a few years. And this potentially was our last trip as DINKS. So while I might consider each day less return for our money, I've also savored our time alone together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that there are some experiences in life you just can't put a monetary value on. One of those is being on vacation with your spouse. Whether you spent every day snowboarding or spent the last day in the hot tub admiring the view of the mountains while sipping a hot or cold beverage, the main point of a vacation is to get away from day-to-day demands and just concentrate on having fun as a couple. Sometimes just going to a hotel a short drive from home for one night is worth it to me. Too often, our days seem like one long to-do list. It's great to connect as a couple and leave all the rest of the world behind.

I know we're all focused on improving our finances, or you wouldn't be writing this blog and we wouldn't be reading it. But when you're on vacation, and all the planning has been finished, then it's time to stop thinking about what each day is costing you and whether it's worth it. Live in the moment and make the most of it!!

Merry Christmas,
Barb1954

Chris Johnston. said...

Gotta agree with Barb on this. When on vaction, especially when you've factored and planned all the costs, forget about them. This is down time. Time to focus on your spouse and enjoy the special atmosphere. I mean sitting in a hot tub with my favorite person, favorite beverage and snow capped mountains in the background. It's virtually post card perfect!

One of the problems with living or strving to have a debt free life is you condition yourself to not to enjoy fun. I think it's derived out of focusing on becoming and remaining debt free, so anything that seems fun or frivolous is now regarded as being the enemy. It isn't.

Sure too much of anything gets old after a while and I'm sure I could get worn out having the same fun.

I only wish I was young and flexible enough to be able to snowboard. Enjoy it while you can. Rascals and oxygen bottles could be in our futures.