Sunday, December 16, 2007

Tip to using Priceline...

I love priceline. I am was about to use priceline for my vancouver trip but decided against it. Mainly because there is a special deal at Travelocity, where if you book a hotel for 2 nights using a Mastercard, you get $50. This added to the fact the hotel we were interested in dropped from $108 to $92/night and is again back up at $108/night means we got a steal of a deal.

But back to how to use priceline. There is this website called Bidding for Travel, which tells people how much people have recently bid for rooms in the area you are interested in on priceline.

I looked up the Vancouver area and found that people were paying about $75/night close to the time we were interested in. Also I figured out which hotel they had gotten for that price. The website also has a list of hotels for each star category. This will give you an idea of what hotels you potentially are bidding for and how much others have paid for them in the past.

I use this to help me get and idea of what to bid for the area and star quality of hotel on pricelines. It's a great tool for getting a cheap hotel. Enjoy.

4 comments:

frugal zeitgeist said...

This has nothing to do with priceline, but I decided to take the plunge and get the Entertainment Book for 2008. I ordered it off of the website (http://entertainmentbook.com) and got it for $20 plus free shipping. There's a restaurant two blocks up the street where I can make the $20 back in one night if SO and I both get the salmon. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link to the Price Line forum.

For those who haven't gone to it, wade through it. It has some great information.

Chris

Momma O said...

I got roundtrip tickets last year from Oklahoma to Germany for $250 off of priceline by using the "Name your price" feature. Did I mention I got this price 2 days before I was set to fly out? Yeah, great deal when everywhere else wanted at LEAST $900 for the SAME FLIGHT.

Living Almost Large said...

I am not a fan of priceline for airline tickets because there is too much uncertainty with the time. Plus usually to Europe the taxes are what kill you. I've gone for less than $200 to Switzerland, but the taxes cost more than the ticket.