Sunday, March 11, 2007

Coupons = spending more money

Okay today I purchased the Sunday paper, it was $2.50. I've decided I'm going to start ordering the paper because I'm going to get serious about couponing. I looked through the sales and coupons, and decided I'm going to buy Irish Spring body wash ($1 coupon) from CVS + $4 bonus bucks, Garnier Fructis Shampoo $2.99 sale - $1 coupon, and $1 coupon on Shady brook turkey.

So that's $7 savings, which is great, I may also use another coupon later if something else goes on sale. Most of the stuff is for preprocessed food and for once I'm tempted. For example there is a $1 coupon on Margaritaville Shrimp (frozen), and it looks good. I'm really tempted to buy it.

Which leads me back to my previous couponing point that couponing leads to spending more money. How so? If not for the coupons I would not be buying any of the three items, not even the turkey. But with the coupons I can justify it because it's less than $2. But still the point is that I am spending money on stuff I could live without.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree about spending more money with coupons. I believe that's the manufacturers' intent - to get you to buy what you normally wouldn't.

I tried a service called "The Grocery Game", which tells you what's on special, where, and when, and lets you know which coupons will allow you to buy food for next-to-nothing. The end result was that I bought food I normally wouldn't buy.

I suggest using a Grocery Price Book. I have a free spreadsheet you can download at my website. Here's the link (not trying to spam you, just doing a service):

http://www.uncommonwaytowealth.com/excel-finance-spreadsheets/grocery-savings-spreadsheet-price-book/

Thanks,

Sean