Friday, October 19, 2007

Coupon Update #5

Unfortunately I haven't been using my coupons very much. I am overstock on health and beauty aids for at least 3 years. And I am somewhat stocked on certain foods.

But I've still found that the majority of the food we buy and eat aren't huge coupon savers. One area I've started eating is Oatmeal. I eat it everyday for breakfast, so I suppose I can save a lot on a box of oatmeal.

But overall buying meat and fresh veggies hasn't changed. I've gone to eating frozen veggies, but my DH doesn't like it. He prefer fresh veggies and complains about it. So I try to do one day fresh, one day frozen. Apparently the vitamins provided by frozen veggies are substantially less than fresh/raw veggies because it doesn't withstand the freezing process

Has my couponing this year been a help or hindrance? I'm still debating, I think it's been more work than it's worth. But I did learn about getting free/cheap shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. So maybe it's not a complete waste of time.

I am doing still doing it but very, very slowly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. About frozen vs. fresh fruit and vegetables: Many brands of these frozen items are just as, if not moreso, nutrient-rich than fresh. Most often frozen items have been picked at the peak of ripeness then flash frozen, whereas with fresh fruits and vegetables, they are often picked before they are ripe...when they are not at their peak nutritional value. Add to that there is the time it takes to transport the food from the farm to the store. Then how long it's been sitting in the store, then when you buy it, then when you actually eat it.

You can bypass some of this by eating locally grown, seasonal items. However the bottom line is that frozen fruits and vegetables have just as much nutritional value as fresh. Below is a snippet from the American Cancer Society saying so. :) Good luck!

"Is there a difference in the nutritional value of fresh, frozen, and canned vegetables and fruits?

Yes, but they can all be good choices. Fresh foods are usually thought to have the most nutritional value. Often, though, frozen foods can be more nutritious than fresh foods because they are often picked ripe and quickly frozen, whereas nutrients can be lost in the time between harvest and eating fresh foods. Canning is more likely to reduce the heat-sensitive and water-soluble nutrients because of the high temperatures needed in the canning process. Be aware that some fruits are packed in heavy syrup, and some canned vegetables are high in sodium. Choose vegetables and fruits in a variety of forms."

Anonymous said...

I think it's the canned vegetables that lose their nutritional value. Frozen seems to hold the nutients, expecially those that have been naturally flash frozen.

chris