Thursday, October 18, 2007

Dental Update #3...

To summarize, I refused to pay $350 for a cancelled dental appointment in July. I have sent back proof about changing insurance, I have sent proof the dental office was not eligible for coverage with my new insurance (they are but OUT OF NETWORK). I called and reported them to the insurance company, and it turns out they have been reported multiple times for violations of misleading people to get work done when it wasn't covered.

I have written two more letters saying I'm not paying it. Got another 3rd letter saying I'm responsible for the $350.

What are my options? My DH says to keep saying I'm not paying. This time to explain the cost of the cancellation was way above the reasonable guidelines of the state. They were deceptive, which they were but refuse to acknowledge. I also reported them to the state dental office, but hey they obviously don't care and have been reported before.

Can they send it to collections? How will this affect my credit? What are their recourse? Should I offer to settle for $50?


Anonymous said...

You can notify the collection agency, if and when you are ever contacted, that you dispute the validity of the 'debt'. Same for the credit file. Wait and see what happens. You can also tell the dentist that if you are contacted by collections, you are going to counter sue for harassment.

Anonymous said...

The next time they contact you, state your case again and then tell them you will initiate a harassment suit if they continue to bother you over the issue or mess with your credit. (all in writing, of course.)

You may want to get the insurance company involved; they may have an ombudsman who is there to resolve such issues.

Also, one of our local tv stations does what is known as "6 on your side" segment. Such issues are addressed and many times a company will back off if there is the threat of a bad pub tv story. You may have a radio or tv station that does the same.

Velvet Jones said...

Is it possible for you to contact your state's attorney on this matter? Send the dentist another letter, this time putting a cc section at the bottom with the full name, address, etc. of the state attorney's office and send them a copy of the letter.

JoePolvino said...

Do you have an attorney friend who can give you some free advice without representing you? If you haven't already, at least put together a concise chronology of all correspondence.