Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Marital financial bliss? part 3..

Okay we would be in pure marital financial bliss if not for one small monetary argument. One which I hope to win this month. I want a GPS for my birthday. Yep, I've been dying for one. But the cost is prohibitive. So I haven't really pushed on the issue. But one of our biggest fights as a couple is navigation.

Yep we scream at each other in the car, walking on the street, etc. I never know where I am going or what direction I am headed. I can look at a map and still lose track of our course. It drives my husband insane. I also hate driving, but am the better driver. However whenever I drive DH unfortunately can't navigate because he gets carsick looking at map. Great. And yes he knows where he's going but can't read even the printed google.maps directions because he's feeling ill. So I am stuck driving, reading direction and trying to figure out where to go.

So you are probably thinking how bad can you be? I'm very bad, I have no internal compass and a complete lack of direction. DH says it comes from being raised on an island, I look at the ocean and say wow go towards the ocean. I use landmarks to retrace all my steps. I also cannot feel N, S, E, or W when standing still.

So to me the investment in a GPS would save a tremendous amount of stress. We would no longer fight if we just paid $300 or so for a portable GPS. I wouldn't have to wander around walking and trying to figure out which direction I'm going in. I wouldn't have to try to read a map in a car with someone screaming at me. And DH can sleep in the car without me yelling at him that I'm unable to read the map and drive at the same time.

What say you? Please weigh in and perhaps I can convince my DH that I need this $300 investment. Also suggestions for a GPS is good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with you, as I am directionally challenged as well. My husband is fine at reading maps, so that is not a problem for us. He is also very HELPFUL in letting my know which land I should be in, and where the turnoffs are, and which way I will be turning, even if I've been to this place 1,000 times, which in reality, is not so helpful. Hopefully I don't get lost when picking him up from the airport this week, as I've only been there a few hundred times. =) Good luck with your GPS!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it Mother's Day this weekend? Aren't you going to be a mother one day? Will $300 really break/destroy your marriage?
Isn't this a product you will use, need, enjoy?
Go get thee a GPS!

Anonymous said...

People have gotten around fine for years without such a device so it's definitely not a need, but if you want it that bad, you may as well go ahead and get it.

-limeade

Living Almost Large said...

LOL limenade, and possibly that is why we haven't gotten one. It's a want not a need and I don't need a $300 gift, although last year's gift still cost more.

Anonymous said...

A GPS is fun - we took ours hiking and were able to view our hike afterwards on google earth. I liked where it told us our change in elevation as well as our distance traveled.

We don't really have the GPS to get us around, as I am a human compass. I've never been lost a day in my life, and my mom says I used to be able to tell her at any given time what direction we were traveling (and be accurate) as young as age 3. My DH on the other hand... he's lucky I'm such a good navigator. Go get the GPS! It sounds like you could use it.

Anonymous said...

If you do get the GPS, you could also use it for geocaching.